HISTORY OF BUILDING
In order to understand the history of the building where the Museum of Liturgy is installed, it is necessary to know a little the history of Tiradentes. The town dates back to 1702-1704, when its first inhabitants, men who lived to mine the various streams of the region in search of gold, were, around a small chapel dedicated to Santo Antônio, the first camp of the future and prosperous Comarca of the Rio das Mortes, in Minas Gerais: the Arraial Velho of Rio das Mortes, later called the Vila de São José Del Rey.
Vila de São José. Desenho de Johann Moritz Rugendas. 1824. Publicado pela editora Itatiaia, em 1998, no livro Viagem pitoresca através do Brasil, de Johann Moritz Rugenda
In a short time the camp grew. In 1710, the Brotherhood of the Blessed Sacrament was founded, responsible for the construction of the Church of Saint Anthony to replace the old chapel. The Matrix was already completed around 1732. Its installation in a privileged place was a determining factor of the historical process of occupation of the territory and implementation of the public spaces of Tiradentes.
Serra e Cidade de São José. Desenho de Robert Walsh. 1828.
Publicado pelas editoras Itatiaia e Edusp, em 1985, no livro Notícias do Brasil, de Robert Walsh.
According to the Institute of National Historical and Artistic Heritage (IPHAN), responsible for the protection of the historical center of Tiradentes, the initial nucleus of formation of the town, that is to say, the nucleus of the eighteenth century, is constituted by the route currently formed by the streets of the City, Ball game and by the junction that opens to the streets Right and Father Toledo. In this basic nucleus, the alleys and paths that came to give access to the "service areas", such as the waterfront, the water sources and the space of the food production, were also inserted.
Vista parcial do núcleo setecentista de Tiradentes.
Foto: Stille - Rio de Janeiro, 1942. Fonte: Acervo IPHAN
The Liturgy Museum is located at 15 Rua da Bola, the oldest in the city, whose name is due to the fact that in this space, in the eighteenth century, the residents had at leisure a competition in which balls were thrown to to drop piles
Built in the early times of the city to serve as a residence, the house followed the parameters of the typical Tiradentes dwellings, which differ, for example, from the two-storey houses, which predominate in the ancient tracts of São João del-Rei and Ouro Black. The building is next to the House of the House and is near the small square, which joins with Rua do Chafariz and where the pillory was installed.
In 1893, the parishioners bought the building to donate it as presbytery to the Parish of Santo Antônio of the city of Tiradentes, which happened the following year. The very condition of prosperity of the city and the Comarca of the Rio das Mortes was one of the factors that contributed to attract religious with greater possessions, such as Father Toledo, one of the most active names of Inconfidência Mineira.
Casa paroquial da Matriz de Santo Antônio de Tiradentes, já com os acréscimos construídos na década de 1950.
Fonte: Acervo pessoal Olinto Rodrigues dos Santos Filho.
Throughout the twentieth century, new donations of contiguous lands have made Parish House expand its charitable action, with the establishment of crèches, health posts, support organizations for the poor and other entities. In the 1950s, the house was increased, to increase the number of rooms and install a chapel dedicated to St. Joseph, whose image has disappeared since the 1970s.
This enlargement doubled the facade of the property, adding three more windows to the street, in the same style as the original part. In the 1970s, a new addition was made to the facade in a door and a window in the same style. In the same decade, other reforms adapted the house to the nuns' residence of the Heart of Mary Fraternity.